Saturday, March 26, 2016

And then the machine broke... :(

Mid project (a clear travel pouch,) my machine just stopped functioning. Every time I tried to sew something it made a terrible noise and the bottom of my fabric ended up like this:


Sometimes when the machine malfunctions there is lint in in the bottom gumming things up. I opened her up and cleaned out some nasty fuzzballs. It looked like a lint trap of a dryer in there! I clean it pretty regularly, but haven't gone that far into the belly of the beast before. Then I took apart the top to see if there was any thread caught in there. Boy, was there!


All that was wrapped around an arm inside the top of the machine! Yikes. 

After trying everything I knew to do and that was recommended on the internet, I finally brought it in to the repair shop. Turns out, I chipped the bobbin casing (probably a result of a needle break) and there wasn't a simple fix. Had to send it in for repair, which will take 3 weeks and $120! Luckily, I have a back-up  machine that my step-mom gave me when I graduated. It's not as fancy and is much louder, but totally functional and I can continue to sew!

However, I decided to start another long-term English Paper Piecing project called the New Hexagon Millefiore. http://www.katjasquiltshoppe.com/the-new-hexagon-millefiore-quilt-along.htm. I just started, but things are progressing nicely with Rosette 1. 





No comments:

Post a Comment