Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Curling gifts

David and I are headed to the Brier curling tournament in Ottawa, Ontario on Friday. Some curling friend of his is hosting us in her home for free. I sew things for people as a general activity, and frequently sew things as thank you or other gifts. When I asked what I could make (quickly because we leave in three days) for her, no one had any suggestions. They all said "she just really likes to drink!" A drink coozie seemed like the perfect gift!

I found a pattern on Pinterest - http://www.aprettycoollife.com/2013/08/diy-mason-jar-cozy.html - and a curling stone paper piecing pattern there too:


 I found scraps in the right colors and got to work to test the pattern out.


The coozie pattern calls for 12.5x3.5" pieces to sew together. After I had sewn them, I tried to wrap it around my can, but it was too long. I added two longer velcro pieces (so this thing could fit a 40oz beer if we wanted!) rather than starting over. On the second one, I made it 4.5" wide to better fit the can. 


I'm not the hugest fan of this pattern, but I don't think there was a better quick way to make it happen. 

I did alter this pattern to make a smaller block, and if I have time I will turn it into a small zippered pouch to bring along as a gift as well: http://quiltsocial.com/quick-holiday-gift-tutorial-curling-rocks-quilted-runner/ 

Another purchase at Spoonflower may be necessary to buy some curling fabric! If people at the Brier go crazy for these patterns I may have found a new outlet for my crafts!


No comments:

Post a Comment